Thursday, January 15, 2009

One step forward, five backward: succumbed to the will of anger

My last post was written during cold weather while this one is being written (and possibly read) in warm weather.  Crazy.  I think I always talk about the weather to start my posts, which I suppose makes me like a boring old man.
But I will now cease to write about the weather, and begin to write about what a bad person I can be.  As you may or may not know, bicyclists in Redding aren't exactly, should I say, catered to.  Or for that matter liked.  Personally I have been honked at, shouted at, sworn at, had lemons thrown at, and of course, spat upon.  All with little to no provocation.  I am usually simply degraded for the mere fact that I choose to ride a bike rather than drive a car.  With this in mind, please, read on.
I was riding home from work a couple of days ago, heading west on Dana drive.  I had a green light in front of Discovery Village and asserted my rights as a cyclist to go through the intersection.  During the same time, a black Honda Civic with rims tried to leave the Disco. Ville. parking lot.  Seeing myself and the line of cars behind me, the Civic driver (whom I shall refer to as DBPOSAHTBL (douche bag piece of shit asshole "t" butter licker) from here on.) had to wait for me and all the following cars.  I'll own that had it not been for me DBPOSAHTBL would not have needed to wait for the line of cars.  But I was there, so DBPOSAHTBL  had to wait.  After the line of cars passed me, I changed lanes so I could turn left onto Canby and go home.  Once in the turn lane, DBPOSAHTBL had caught up to me and felt it his duty to roll down his window and shout a certain profane phrase at me.  The one that begins with an F, and ends with an Uck you!
Visions of all the ill treatment I had received as a Redding cyclist played in my mind.  I thought of forgetting about it (turn the other cheek again).  But then I thought, fuck ME? No, Fuck you DBPOSAHTBL!  He was stuck at the Churn Creek traffic light so I pursued.  I rode around the right side of his car and circled around the front.  I looked through his windshield,  made eye contact with DBPOSAHTBL and spat onto his car. 
Then I rode home.
It was stupid and immature and does nothing positive for Redding's cyclist/motorist relationship, but oh well.

3 comments:

Kooy To The World said...

I am very jealous right now. I wish I could have been there to spit upon DBPOSAHTBL with you.

noah! said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jordana said...

Thank you for standing up for yourself and for other cyclists out there! As things turn out in Redding, DBPOSAHTBL may turn out to be your second cousin, once removed...the son of our aunt's cousin's sister's son (i'm assuming it was a guy).